Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Philippines

Ryan and I flew to The Philippines after work last week.  We are good travelers, and so we didn't go with any sort of plan.  We only had roundtrip tickets and about eight days between the flights.
Our flight south was fantastic.  It left at 1:30 in the morning, so we were exhausted boarding the plane.  As we taxied down the runway, all the power went out on the plane.  Fortunately, the pilot reassured us that no power was nothing to worry about.  So we were okay.  The flight went really well thereafter, aside from incredibly violent shuddering during takeoff and landing.
We arrived in Manila at 3:30 in the morning and left the airport at four--too late to get a hotel.  The cab driver drove us around for aa bit, then directed us to an island resort town called Puerto Galera.  At noon, we met up with our new friends, Joy and Ailyn who were heading to the same place to pick out their wedding location.  We followed them onto a boat and then they directed us to the same resort they were going to.
The following couple of days were a blast, and we got to know the two of them well.  We rented scooters and explored the area and enjoyed good beachtime and free massages.
After they left, Ryan and I rented two scooters of our own and freelanced our way around the northern part of the island. It was obviously nothing short of fun because we are fun.  We found three incredible waterfalls and swam around in the pools below them and above them.  We mostly just enjoyed exploring .
One day, as we were scootering away from a beach we had just visited, Ryan smelled something delicious coming from a nearby Obviously, we stopped to order lunch. We sat down at a table with a Korean man, Michael, and a Frenchman, Jean.  Michael, the new resort owner, told us that we could order something from off the menu, or be his guests and eat their food with them for free.  Obviously, we ate their food.  And it was delicious.  We spent the rest of the day with them and the cook/general manager, Jenny. 
I climbed halfway up a coconut tree, and then got to (weakly, out of fear for cutting off my own fingers) cut open my own coconut with a machete and drink the coconut milk.  Then we got a tour of the resort from the owner who was renovating it.  We kayaked, played ping pong and foosball, had a game of badminton and then were invited for supper.  Jenny was so nervous cooking for us, because Mchael had told her that he wanted something special for us. It was the most delicious meal that I have had in three months.  Really great.
We visited them again the next day, and had a fun time again.  Basically, our whole time on the island felt just perfect, but we ha to leave Friday morning for Manila because we wanted to go to church.
A 62 year old gentleman who volunteered at the resort ("You're a guy, I am a gay." he told us the first day we arrived) told us that he would be our tourguide for Manila free of charge. He knew about one in fifty people that we passed in Manila as well as 90% of Puerto Galera residents.  So, he gave us all the hookups, incluing 60% off our hotel price. We spent the weekend in Manila with him.   
On Sabbath, Ryan and I sought out one of the Adventist churches, and had a great time there.  We met one of the most fun families in the world there.  All of the kids sang a really nice song for us when Ryan asked if they could sing.  And then the family gave us a ride back to our hotel.
Really, a fun trip.  Want anymore details?  I'm kidding.  I've written 1/4 of a book (at least, of a book the size that I am willing to read).
Maybe when I get back to my own computer, I'll post some pictures if you want. 
Good night!

8 comments:

  1. How fun! This is the best kind of traveling! Your pictures on fb look good as well. Your captions are so funny! I might be counting down the days til I see you. I might not be too, but let's say that I am, because I'm pretty excited about it. Oh, and I'm glad you met someone with such a cool name ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW FUN!! This is seriously the best way to travel! I can just imagine all the laughs, memories, and locals that you guys were hanging with! I dont know how long you guys are going to be over there--but if you are there in September we all better have some epic travel adventure!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You think you are such a good traveler huh? I'm better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Jenny, Michael is a pretty good name. It was pretty cool meeting someone with that name.
    Elliot, you're coming to Taiwan? What for? We'll probably be moving to China middle of August. But we should meet somewhere.
    Alex, I am a good traveler. Let's have a contest sometime. We'll travel together and see who makes the better decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lance, you are an awesome writer. I loved reading this! So fun. I felt like I was there with you and Ryan. If only I could have been. You two are a ton of fun...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Janet. Next is Thailand. Can you join that one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in the Philippines, I wanted to get a haircut. The man I was with asked if I wanted a girl of a gay, but I thought it was mostly accent. Then I found out it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! That sounds like the Philippines, Zach! When were you there?

    ReplyDelete