Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami Tschunami

Apparently, on the wake of a major earthquake in Japan, friends have made us aware we are on a Tsunami warning.  We are at the mouth of a major river that flows north into the Pacific, and the base of our building is just about right exactly at sea level.  In the event of a tsunami, it is very likely that it gets wet.  Fortunately for us, we are on the 22nd floor and I can't imagine any wave being high enough to make us wet.  Worst case scenario, the building collapses and we get buried alive with eels and octopi floating around us from the wave.  In that case, if you are reading this, I'm embarrassed for having mocked the dangers of a tsunami, and I take back all that I have written.  Though there is only about a third of the traffic heading toward the ocean below our building as the traffic traveling away from it, I don't think anyone else is really taking the warning seriously either.

We're almost accomplishing things that get us nearer to being ready to begin teaching our classes.  I need to learn to unicycle in the next month, as that is one of the classes I am teaching.  I imagine I'll be able to pick it up, and I practiced every other day this week.  I am a Level 1 unicyclist according to UnicyclingUSA.org.  I will also be teaching track and field classes, so it is a good thing I'm an athlete.  I need to develop some sort of curriculum for those classes, and that is what I have devoted a sliver of my time to this week. The remaining slivers were devoted to shadowing the teachers at already established schools.  It looks like a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to doing a similar program at XingFu camp (find this by typing 'XìngFú Elementary School, Linkou  Township, Taiwan' into Google Earth).  If you have bits of advice for a new teacher, you're welcome to share them.  I might take them seriously.  Our only real struggle is with fighting the school to hook us up with dependable Internet connections so that we can access the information needed to accomplish what we need to accomplish.  The folk at our school act real helpful, but they accomplish very little on our behalf.

Anyway, we're gonna spend Sabbath as a group with many of the staff from the group of four schools that AEH operates.  We are looking forward to that.
Anyway, this feels like quite an adequate length for a blog.  Want a picture or videos or something?

Here:
Our School is the white part of this building.  It is currently under construction, but looks every bit like the school that you've always wanted to attend.  Pretty cool building!

Kids enjoying dance class




6 comments:

  1. 0H i love these videos I am jealous to say the least!! Glad to hear you are all safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this blog is amazing, i learned part of the thriller dance from it! you're an amazing teacher, lance =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! You're so funny. I'm still pretty upset you left the same day I came. Looks like you're having fun though!! I'm sure you'll be a pro unicycler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, man! Lance, you crack me up sometimes. They really sound like such helpful people ;) I'm glad you're excited to teach though, and I'll be happy to give as much advice as I can ha ha! For starters make sure they know that Mr. Davis means business, no messin around!
    Also, I'll be praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, those kids were so funny to watch, Elliot. Granted, I am a worse dancer than they are.
    Thanks, Chelsea. I didn't learn any of the Thriller dance to it, but I would've liked to. Did you really practice it?
    Jenny, I'd better become a pro unicycler. Everyone here can already ride a unicycle, and I feel like I need to be better than them to teach them.
    I'm gonna go with Mr. Lance Pants, Tina. I think that will command more respect. And I DO mean business. Thanks for the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In light of the effects of the Tsunami Tschunami on Japan, I'd like to rescind the title of this post. Tsunamis suck!

    ReplyDelete