Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Asia Phase B (or C, if you please)

So, obviously I'm done with Taiwan now.  It's still a bummer, I mostly liked it there.  But, I am in Hong Kong now on my way to Shanghai.  And, if it so interests you, here is a brief synopsis (actually, it's the entirety of what I think I know) of what I'll be doing for the next year or whatevs.
The program is called a twin track program and schools students from Kindergarten to 12th grade.  Half of their time is spent learning from American teachers (me, for example) and the other half is with Chinese teachers.  Hopefully, after thirteen years of study, these students will have earned both American and Chinese diplomas with the obvious goal of getting accepted into an American university.
The school year, as it stands, is a bit longer than our own with 220 days.  I've heard rumors that we are trying to add a bit of a Christmastime vacation (contract states that we have Christmas day off--it's a Sunday).
The students are placed in dorms directly from Kindergarten (lucky kids get me etc. instead of Mom and Dad (sarcasm)).  I think I'll be teaching third graders.  What do Canadians call third graders?  Grade three-ers? Students in grade three?  My point is, why don't they just call it third grade instead of grade 3?
Also, the program costs $20,000 per year from Kindergarten.  That seems steep to me.  Especially considering that I am half of what they are paying for--bless their hearts.
Anyway, I'll be in Shanghai for the next couple of weeks with the other teachers, preparing for the next year.  Then I'll be moving down to the massive metropolis area of Guangzhou (pop. 40,000,000 which is California plus the city of Los Angeles a second time).  It is south of Shanghai exactly as far as Los Angeles is from Portland (I was just guessing that last week, and it turns out there is only a three mile difference).
Really, I am looking forward to this next year. Visit at your leisure if you think you're worth my time.

2 comments: